Built about 1925
Peter Demens, the Russian owner of a sawmill in Longwood, purchased the charter and franchise for the Orange Belt Railway which had been issued in 1885. The railroad was completed from Lake Monroe to Oakland in 1886. In 1887 it was extended through Minneola, Clermont and Groveland and was finally completed all the way to St. Petersburg. The depot had a distinctive Russian architectural influence. The Tavares and Gulf Railroad built another depot across the tracks from the original depot. In 1902 the Orange Belt became part of the Atlantic Coast Line. The existing building above replaced the original buildings which were constructed a short distance away.
The depot is now the office of the Historical Society and contains a meeting room, which will seat 30 to 40 people, plus an outside pavilion with picnic tables, public bathrooms, a little free library and a mobile souvenir shop during regular business hours.